July 3, 2008

2 Years Ago Tonight

2 years ago tonight at 10:45 pm I was suffering with mild contractions after being talked into taking castor oil to induce labor. I was MISERABLE and had been walking around 3 cm dilated for about a week thinking things were going to happen at any moment, so it didn't take much talking into before I agreed to chug my o.j. and castor oil alongside my supportive husband who chugged his very own castor oil cocktail "just to be nice." I don't think many husbands would do that for their wives, and I don't think mine will ever do it again :).

I don't know if the castor oil was the reason or not (the nurse assured me that it wasn't), but my water broke the next morning, July 4th, around 9:30 a.m. I was lying on the couch watching the musical, Oliver - well, not really watching it as much as just sitting there in a sleepy stupor, zoning in and out of dreamland, but it was on in the background. When out of the blue, I heard a "pop," and water began to gush all over the place. I instantly knew what was going on.

Sean and I were so excited. We were in a hurry, a frantic rush to get to the hospital. I didn't even shower because I wasn't sure if I had time. Oh, I had time because it would be about another 13 hours before this beautiful baby would take her first breath:

It would be about 13 hours before my life and heart would never be the same. It would be about half a day before I would begin to understand a love like this.

Happy Birthday Eve, Hattie Ruth!

I'll be back tomorrow in between party planning and festivities to add more.

No comments:

Wisdom From the Pope

“The inalienable dignity of every human being and the rights which flow from that dignity - in the first place the right to life and the defense of life - are at the heart of the church's message." Pope John Paul ended his address, saying: "In spite of divisions among Christians, 'all those justified by faith through baptism are incorporated into Christ...brothers and sisters in the Lord.'" Pope John Paul 2