September 22, 2007

What's in a Name - part deux - Ruth!


Ruth. Even before I ever met Sean's grandmother, when I heard this name I thought of strength and wisdom. I loved that it was a biblical name. Then I met Ruth. And I saw what a strong, godly woman she was. Of course I don't have the stories and connections to tell like I did with my own grandmother, but I have had several experiences with this woman that have left me thinking, smiling, and wanting to know more about her.


I told Sean once, even before we had Hattie Ruth, that his grandmother reminded me of my own in so many ways - strong, religious, putting others before themselvles. This woman is one of ten children. She is a hard worker and has a heart for Christ that I only hope to have. She is always giving and trying to help others. I specifically remember how generous she was to Sean and me around our wedding planning. She helped us out so much because she knew we were in need.


I remember, after we were married, having a long conversation with Ruth in her living room. She talked about her childhood, her marriage, and children (babies to her) to me. I walked away feeling the weight of what she had been through in her life, but I also felt so much wisdom in what she told me! This woman is nearing 90, but she is as sharp as a whistle (did I get that saying right?). She has everything in perspective and even though our world is turning and changing around her, she is a rock and stands solid in her beliefs. I admire that so much!


Ruth is also so thoughtful. Just a week ago, I sent her a card with a picture of Hattie in it. Within days she sent me a thank you card for my card. Who does that? Sean always jokes, telling me that I should send her a thank-you card for her thank-you card, just to see if she'll send me a thank-you card for my thank-you card for her thank-you card! She probably would, too! She is so thoughtful and simply wanted me to know that my card was appreciated. She goes out of her way to make me feel good about something kind that I have done. I miss that "old-fashionness" that she still keeps to.


When Sean and I told her that we were naming Hattie after her, she was so surprised and humble about it. She teases me now saying that "Hattie Ruth may be 'Hattie Ruth,' but she'll be 'Ruth' to me!" I just love that. And I am so looking forward to moving closer to her so that her great-granddaughter will get to know her more. I know that as Hattie Ruth gets older and understands more, she'll be so proud to carry her great-grandmother's name! And I hope with that name she'll carry the wisdom, heart, and strength that her great-grandmother has as well.

No comments:

Wisdom From the Pope

“The inalienable dignity of every human being and the rights which flow from that dignity - in the first place the right to life and the defense of life - are at the heart of the church's message." Pope John Paul ended his address, saying: "In spite of divisions among Christians, 'all those justified by faith through baptism are incorporated into Christ...brothers and sisters in the Lord.'" Pope John Paul 2