February 5, 2009

Apples & Oranges

That's about as alike as my daughters look and act.

Hattie: just at 6 months old:

Mary Ellen: almost 6 months old:


I don't even think they look like sisters. Maybe that'll change as M.E. gets older, but with her blue eyes and Mama's prediction of blonder hair, I think they'll always look so different.

And their personalities are just as opposite. Mary Ellen is my laid-back, loves to eat and explore her world baby. She doesn't need my attention unless she's hungry or tired. Hattie has always been more needy, cautious, and rule following. She has always just needed my attention, probably because she's my first born, but I also think it's in her DNA, the "needy" gene. Mama has it, too :).

I have already predicted to Sean that Mary Ellen will be the one to crawl out of her crib at 18 months. I just have a feeling she's a daredevil. Hattie has been in a big girl bed for several months now, and she still has never climbed out of it unless we're in the room! She'll just call for us and wait in bed until we go and get her. NICE.

Mary Ellen seems more outgoing than Hattie was at this point, always smiling. Hattie always had a preference for Mama and was skeptical of anybody else. She still has a tendency to be that way.

And lately I've just been thinking about how I will parent these two completely different girls equally. I have sisters, and I know there will be competition, though I PRAY my daughters will be the exception! But I just hope, as a mother, I will give to them equally, and love them equally in the ways that they need to be loved. And I'm not sure how that looks yet, but I pray that God will grow me into the caring, nurturing mother that I need to be for these precious little sisters.

8 comments:

KatieLee Photography said...

Ma'am -- your baby almost is going to need a training bra. Check out those fat rolls!

Let's try to get in a 6 month photo shoot before the end of the month. I could likely have some free time possibly on 2/21 or 2/28. Okay?

Megan Blinka said...

there such cutie's!!!!

Kari said...

Such pretty little girls!

Bonnie said...

I just love those rolls! Also, the fact that you are thinking about how they will be as they grow up proves what a wonderful, loving mommy you are.

Unknown said...

Hattie sounds a lot like Saige and Meadow sounds a lot like Mary Ellen! It must be the first born, second born thing or something!?! Too funny!

Missy said...

Well, Maggie called that picture of Mary Ellen Ike, so maybe those Dollahon genes are shining through more with her!

AKat said...

I think they are both adorable!!! I have two sisters and we all have our own personalities, that's for sure! :) I love your pictures!

Team Tanneberger said...

The one of her feeding Mary Ellen a lollypop is a BEAUTIFUL shot! It's sooooooo sweet.

Wisdom From the Pope

“The inalienable dignity of every human being and the rights which flow from that dignity - in the first place the right to life and the defense of life - are at the heart of the church's message." Pope John Paul ended his address, saying: "In spite of divisions among Christians, 'all those justified by faith through baptism are incorporated into Christ...brothers and sisters in the Lord.'" Pope John Paul 2