June 2, 2008

Mama's Girl


Hattie loves when Mommy does everything for her. In her eyes, Mommy does it best! Not that I'm complaining, but I have felt that I needed to help her break that habit of thinking a little bit. So for the past week or so Daddy has been taking over bedtime completely. At the pediatrician's suggestion, because Hattie is such a Mama's girl, I either leave the house, or I go in our bedroom and shut the door. In the beginning she protested a lot, but now after a minute of realizing I'm not around, she is happy and content with her daddy putting her to bed.

Tonight I stowed away in Mary's Ellen's nursery to admire the paint job we just completed this weekend when I heard Sean laying Hattie in her crib. Before he shut the door to her room, I heard her ask, "We see Mommy tomorrow? We see Mommy tomorrow?" He assured her, "Yes, you'll see Mommy in the morning." Ugh. It just broke my heart. I wanted to run in her room and pick her up and hold her and then be the one to put her down for bed.

Creating space or cutting the cord or whatever you wanna call it is so hard. I know it's healthy for her to rely on her daddy to do things for her. Gosh, I want that, especially with a new baby due to arrive in a few short months, a baby that might need to be nursed at Hattie's bedtime. But I also realized tonight that I like being there and doing everything for her. I like that she's a mama's girl, but I know that this is all good and healthy for her, too........

No comments:

Wisdom From the Pope

“The inalienable dignity of every human being and the rights which flow from that dignity - in the first place the right to life and the defense of life - are at the heart of the church's message." Pope John Paul ended his address, saying: "In spite of divisions among Christians, 'all those justified by faith through baptism are incorporated into Christ...brothers and sisters in the Lord.'" Pope John Paul 2